WHY GRAND RAPIDS
Fastest Growing Region in Michigan
- More than 130 international companies
- The world headquarters for such companies as Amway, BISSELL, Steelcase, Herman Miller, and Wolverine World Wide
- 8th largest biopharmaceuticals cluster in the U.S.
- #13 among states for individuals in science & engineering occupations as a percentage of workforce
- The food & agriculture industry in Michigan contributes $91.4 billion annually to the state’s economy.
Growth in Life Sciences Sector
A world of research infrastructure, private capital, and collaborative partnerships awaits in West Michigan. In this dynamic, growing life-science community, you will find:
- Job Growth: 38.7% industry job growth in West Michigan over the past 10 years, 18 percent higher than the national average of 21%.
- Medical Mile: Covering nearly a full square mile of downtown Grand Rapids, this expansive corridor has experienced over $2 billion in investment over the past 15 years.
- Talent: 44,000+ local jobs related to the biosciences in West Michigan, 11% above the national average.
The West Michigan market has been energized and fueled by the amazing growth of the medical services industry. With one of the fastest growing life sciences clusters in the U.S., West Michigan is in the midst of more than $1 billion in recent investments:
- A $120 million Michigan Medical Towner
- A $178 million 240,000-square-foot expansion of the Van Andel Institute: New research specialties related to Parkinson disease, Alzheimer’s and other chronic illnesses.
- A $23 million Women’s Health Center
- A $60 million Hauenstein Neurosciences Center. The only comprehensive neurological center of its kind in the U.S.
- Spectrum Health- one of the nation’s top integrated delivery systems- $479 million investment in three new centers of excellence in pediatric, cardiac and cancer care.
- A $90 million Michigan State University College of Human Medicine Secchia Center.
Conveniently located between Detroit and Chicago on Michigan’s western shoreline, West Michigan is a center for manufacturing excellence, life science discovery, and technological innovation. Long the home of such office furniture giants as Steelcase, Haworth and Herman Miller, the region is now the center of one of the largest investment in life sciences in the country.
GRAND RAPIDS RANKINGS
- #3 -Big Cities with the Healthiest Housing Markets-SmartAsset.com
- #4- Housing Markets to Watch 2017-Trulia
- #3- Best States to Make a Living in 2016- Forbes.com
- #2- Best U.S. City to start a business in for 2016 – Wallethub
- #7 Best Place to Live in the U.S. for Quality of Life -News & World Report
- #2- Best place to own a home -porch.com
- #3- Best U.S. cities for affordable home ownership- Lawnstarter.com
- One of Top 20 best places to live in the U.S. – News and World Report
- Ford Airport ranked #1 airport in North America by Airports Council International (ACI)