Why West Michigan
WHY GRAND RAPIDS
Fastest Growing Region in Michigan
- More than 130 international companies
- The world headquarters for such companies as Amway, BISSELL, Steelcase, Herman Miller, Wolverine World Wide, and more.
- West Michigan is home to some of the most advanced healthcare, research, manufacturing and education facilities in the Midwest, many of which are housed on the Medical Mile.
Growth in Life Sciences Sector
A world of research infrastructure, private capital, and collaborative partnerships awaits in West Michigan. In this dynamic, growing life-science community, you will find:
- Job Growth: a 10-year job growth rate of 27%, outpacing the national average by 11%.
- Medical Mile: Covering nearly a full square mile of downtown Grand Rapids, this expansive corridor has experienced over $2 billion in investment over the past 15 years.
- Establishments: 428 health science establishments in West Michigan and 83 medical device manufacturers
- Talent: 59,900+ health sciences jobs in West Michigan
The West Michigan market has been energized and fueled by the amazing growth of the medical services industry. With one of the fastest growing life sciences clusters in the U.S., West Michigan has benefited from more than $2 billion in recent investments:
- $85 million Doug Meijer Innovation Building
- $120 million Michigan Medical Tower
- $44.7 million Perrigo North American Corporate Headquarters
- $70 million Daniel and Pamella DeVos Center for interprofessional Health GVSU
- $60-80 million Spectrum Health Center for Transportation and Innovation
- $80 million Michigan State University Grand Rapids Research Center
- $90 million Michigan State University College of Human Medicine Secchia Center
- $60 million Hauenstein Neurosciences Center. The only comprehensive neurological center of its kind in the U.S.
- $70 million Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital main campus expansion
- $60 million Grand River Aseptic Manufacturing (GRAM) pharmaceutical manufacturing and packaging facility – the company’s third facility in the region